- Flyzus, Wood Elf Ranger (hunter), Outlander; sole survivor of his tribe after an orc invasion
- Rufb, Half-Orc Barbarian (berserker), Mercenary Veteran; captured by pterafolks, his fellow mercenaries killed, seeks riches and glory
- NPC: Leioppe, Grung, Martial Artist (Volo’s: template); level-headed frogman, member of the Order of the Infinite Leap
The PCs waited for night-time, as the ritual chants of the Grungs would provide the opportunity to get to the pit whilst most of Bufo’s gang would be otherwise occupied. They cautiously approached, two burly (1) frogmen patrolled the area. Their newfound ally made a diversion so Flyzus and Rufb could get closer. Rufb then charged one guard and sent him tumbling down the pit.
The PCs then attacked the other guard (2), losing precious time. This led to Bufo the Mud Shaman intervening, summoning 4 mud mephits. Those were easily dispatched but then a more imposing mud elemental took shape before them. Flyzus and Rufb finally decided to go on with their mission and jumped in the pit, Leioppe following.
Below, the guard that was pushed was being overwhelmed by grung zombies (3) but his pleas for help met indifference. Rufb jumped over the dying frog and shoved multiple zombies, his companions close behind.
The mud elemental messily got down too. Flyzus and Rufb sucessfully destroyed it while Leioppe did his best to lure the zombies away to give them space.
Killing about fifteen of these zombies was hard work once they turned their attention to it. They had to burn them (with oil and torches) or else they just kept coming.
Nearby, in a hard to get cave, the PCs found a group of survivors, infected grungs that had not been transformed yet. There was hope for them still, but time was of the essence.
Further through the caves, Rufb entered headlong into a tunnel infested with brown mold. That was painful… Aware of the danger now, the adventurers jumped from safe spot to another until they got pass the dangerous patch (4).
A few oozes later and less a short sword for the elf, they got before a massive, disgusting pile of mold and half dissolved grung corpses, a shambling mound.
The poor Leioppe got grabbed and engulfed before he could do much. Fortunately, Flyzus and Rufb hacked the mold monster most efficiently and could get him out before he was asphyxiated or crushed to death.
Through the Wall
After a short rest, the PCs pressed on but were soon faced with a conundrum. A precipice some 12 feet across and a brick wall the other side. They remembered something that Nesu the Skinless had said just before they left: « you will have to make the blind man’s leap ».
-What the heck is that supposed to mean? asked Rufb.
The Glass-skinned frog had shrugged, palms up, in the universal « I’ve no idea ».
Well, here was a leap for sure but would they be so foolhardy to try it?
Nah… A lot better to throw a rock at the wall… Sure enough it seemed to become transparent, unreal.
So, reassured, they jumped across and through the illusory wall. No problem, except (!) that Rufb let drop his gigormous axe in the chasm (5). Uh oh.
- the fascinating morphic diversity of the frogs ought to be exploited more than just colors
- they should have simply ignored him
- Flyzus could recognize from past experience that those were in fact akin to vegepygmies
- for once they managed to not screw up their acrobatic checks
- another 1! I mean, isn’t that amazing? It seemed a bit too cruel that Chris would lose 2 characters falling to their deaths in the same session…