- Flyzus, Wood Elf Ranger (hunter), Outlander; sole survivor of his tribe after an orc invasion
- Varis, Drow Rogue (thief), Far traveller; exiled scion of a noble family on the losing side of a feud
- Droidoc, Halfling Druid (circle of the moon), Outlander; was there when Camp Righteous fell, now he’s a cannibalistic loony
A lot of meat
After slaying (most of) the gnolls, the victorious PCs entered the river and a few hours later come upon a grisly scene: an entire herd of hadrosaurs had been decimated. It wasn’t hard to guess that the gnolls had killed the beasts, taking meat and leaving most to rot.
A dozen velociraptors were doing the best they could before something bigger got there. The PCs didn’t stay to see what it would be…
Friendly Frogs- Portage
The party had to get out of the water for a portage, unfortunately 2 giant frogs were in the way. Unfazed, the Halfling druid cast the animal friendship spell and the two dangerous beasts let them pass without harm.
Uneventful first night as they slept on a small island in the middle of the river, indicated by a fisherman earlier
In Shallow Territory
Paddling for a few hours in the morning, the PCs were met by an eblis who advised to take a side affluent, saying that it would be impossible to go further on the main river. He asked for « shiny things » for his well-timed advice.
After a moment of hesitation, the PCs did choose to follow the eblis’ advice and got on shallow waters full of reeds. Not much further, another eblis proposed to sell them « beautiful and magical feathers » and Varis fell for it.
Deeper in marsh terrain, a third eblis whispered an offer to raid a nearby nest while he did a diversion and split the content between them. The PCs declined and forged ahead.
By then, Droidoc had had enough of the shady eblis and when yet another one approached, he threw a javelin at it! (2)
Combat: 1 eblis
The eblis cast a Hypnotic Pattern spell, it briefly affected Flyzus. It then attempted to fly away but was instead shot down. The PCs then cut through the dense vegetation to get back on the main river and away from those damn lying birds!
Octopus vs Plesiosaur!
Combat: 1 plesiosaur
A river plesiosaur broke the surface of the water and savagely mauled the surprised Varis. Droidoc shapeshifted once more into a giant octopus and grappled the marine reptile while the elves slashed at it with swords. The severely wounded beast tried to get away but the octopus did not let go until it was dead.
Uneventful night on the pebble river bank
- My eblis were more akin to peddlers. Neutral evil peddlers.
- Sometimes violence is indeed the solution!
- The fisherman’s tip and the animal friendship both removed a combat situation and that’s perfectly okay, the PCs got xp for it.