- Anfi (level 2), Locathah Fighter, Outlander; medicinal herbs collector, wants to see how is life above water
- Edmond, Muck Dweller; friendly creature that Anfi saved from being cut to pieces by giant crabs
My son Isaac, after having a taste of D&D as he played the powerful Shield Guardian Vorn wanted to play a « true » character, even if it meant being much weaker. He even selected a mini from my stash in advance. I was pretty happy that he chose a Locathah (a fish-folk), a rather unusual and interesting pick. Here’s the recap of the session I did with him, with his younger brother playing as his enthusiast sidekick.
Making a Friend (1)
Fresh out of the sea Anfi could spot a Muck Dweller cornered by Giant Crabs. Sympathetic to the amphibian’s fate, Anfi intervened and killed some of the Giant Crabs, the others skittered away.
Entrance to Another World
With his new friend in tow, Anfi entered the large cave that, as he’d been told, led to Another World. The first creature encountered was familiar enough to the Locatah, a Moray Eel was trapped in a shallow pool. A few stabs of Anfi’ spear were enough to kill it. (2)
Further ahead, along the inundated cave, a decrepit rowboat floated upside down with other flotsam nearby. Anfi decided to investigate and as he approached, 3 dead pirates surfaced with rusted sabers in skeletal hands. This time Anfi and his companion got a few wounds before dispatching their opponents. Anfi found a good dagger and some equipment. (3)
Now on dry land, they advanced along a narrower part of the cave when suddenly, snake attack! The Muck Dweller was fast to react and put a fierce bite on the snake, which chose to retreat hastily in the hole it came from. (4)
Too many Cockroaches
After a brief rest, the 2 amphibians continued their subteraean journey. The stench of bat guano was overwhelming now and the ground was swarming with vermins. The Cockroach Queen led a throng of its subjects to the assault. The Muck Dweller gorged itself on the insects and Anfi stabbed the Queen, killing it, but the cockroaches kept coming nonetheless. Finally Anfi had enough and fled some distance to safety. (5)
- That way Edmond could roll dice and play with us!
- Isaac chose combat but we can’t fault him too much for that…
- Isaac wasn’t very eager to approach, in fact, I think he tought that he was expected to and did as much. I have to remind him that he can do whatever he really wants.
- Isaac kept asking if they would see the snake afterward, as if it’s unfinished business…
- I had one essential lesson in mind for this encounter: don’t fight every time!